Saturday, October 6, 2012

Retirement Plan

Now that I am employed, my company pays for my Provident Fund and Gratuity Fund. Honestly, I didn't know what they are initially but I just signed for them. Later I came to know that they contribute for our retirement plan, the money you get in hand when you retire. Is a retirement plan necessary?

My grand parents who were farmers never had any retirement plans as such. Their only plan was to stay with their sons till their death. It is parents' responsibility to bring up the child, provide him with good food, education and all the necessities to build his character and career. It is children's responsibility to care of their parents in their old age. But, the question is how many children feel responsible for their parents?

I worked with my mother for census 2011 in 2010 summer. We had to go to each and every house and ask them many details such as how many family members they had, their educational qualifications, the facilities the family could afford etc. The region assigned to my mom was a village nearby a town, poverty stricken. I was surprised to see old people staying all alone in dilapidated huts with their children living just beside the hut in pucca houses. The old people had to cook food all by themselves. Sometimes their generous neighbors would give them some food and would care for them when they are not well but their children's families would never have a look at them. Everyone we visited had the same story. Each of them made sure that their children would get good facilities at the rate of their comforts and hard work. Once their children got married, the parents would be driven out of the house. 

At the same time, I see many families in my village who respect their old, disabled parents and take good care of them. I also see abandoned parents there. Why does this difference prevail? Who would take the responsibility of those people's attitude who leave their parents when they are in need?

According to the Indian Society which is held high for its values, its the duty of the children to take care of their parents in their old age not because its a responsibility but because its an opportunity to repay the care and attention they have been getting since childhood. Its the responsibility of the parents and teachers to make sure that their children learn absolute values. Given the present scenario, who wants values. All that is needed is high percentages through whatever means, a good job and a lot of money. Chuck the values! Parents make their own retirement plans and children have their own life after that. Here begins the story of another child with no values. Owing to the growing individuality of educated people, children do not bother about parents because they have impeccable retirement plans and parents do not interfere in their children's life as they are well settled and need privacy. The concepts of love, generosity and concern on which the society is supposed to run are long lost.

Worst situation is seen in villages which hang between the modernization and the ancient culture. Old people there neither have a provision for a retirement plan due to illiteracy nor have support from their children. I aspire to see that ideal society where people love their parents as much as they love their children. 

I am not against the retirement plans but  they should never build unbreakable and invisible walls between people!


1 comment: